Saturday, May 22, 2010

The first artificial bacterial genome

Just about every science blogger in the world has written about J. Craig's working artificial bacterial genome. Most of them are much cleverer people than me, so I don't have much to say that wouldn't be repeated what has already been said, but I'd just like to point you to some posts that are good, or thought provoking, or hilarious.

Good:
Did scientists play god? 

Thought-provoking:
We can't control everything - evolution takes over immediately

Hilarious:
J. Craig versus Francis Collins

Just to add to that last one, I distinctly remember some lecturers in my undergrad talking about J. Craig Venter and emphatically adding that he's apparently a total asshole. Well, so what? I've met plenty of asshole scientists*; being a meanie isn't unique to JCV and it shouldn't take anything away from his achievements. And boy are they spectacular achievements.

*I would just like to make it clear that I am NOT referring to any of you lovely scientists who I have ever worked with. You guys rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment