Saturday, January 2, 2010

Spelling and Grammar

I must admit that I'm one of those people who gets incredibly agitated by people who mis-spell simple words. I found this excellent comic on Stumble this afternoon (click through for the rest):



Although, I've found that the problem is some people don't actually realise that Lose and Loose are two different words. Another similar case is Then and Than: some folk are entirely unaware of the presence of one of these words (than) in the English dictionary. It really baffles me.

Unfortunately, people also hate to be corrected. There's no point in telling people when they get it wrong, because not only will they not listen, I'll just end up with no friends (except the grammatically correct ones, of course...).

And don't even get me started on "would of" instead of "would have".

1 comment:

  1. The ones that get to me are "their" and "there" and "they're"; also "effect" and "affect".

    And don't get me started about supposedly knowledgable people who try to use the word "comprise" without knowing the definition or usage rules.

    Jan

    ReplyDelete